Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- The New York Times has an article about Encore Creativity for Older Adults and its choral programs for people over 55. Encore's New York groups are starting up in March. (2018-2-26)
- Choral Chameleon is proud to announce, in its 10th anniversary season, that it has been selected by National Sawdust, the ground-breaking artist incubator and performance space founded in 2015, to be the first choir to participate in their coveted residency program for the 2017-2018 season.
Choral Chameleon’s residency will be anchored in National Sawdust’s new curated series, Classical Sundays. Devoted to bringing classical artistry to Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Classical Sundays will showcase the artists and ensembles who are moving the classical and contemporary classical music field forward in ways that align with National Sawdust’s experimental and artist-led DNA. The new series will present world premieres, with participants pushing the boundaries of what their instruments (or voices) can do, and/or engaging in unexpected collaborations across disciplines. Instrumental ensembles in residence alongside Choral Chameleon include International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE), Contemporaneous and The Refugee Orchestra Project. (2018-1-23)
- Encore Creativity for Older Adults, the nation’s largest choral program for adults 55 and over, has announced the start of two Encore ensembles in New York. The Encore Chorale opens Monday, March 19, with rehearsals from 1 to 2:30 PM at Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church. Encore Rocks (a rock-n-roll chorus) opens Wednesday, March 21, with rehearsals from 1 to 2:30 PM at the New York Society for Ethical Culture. Encore is based in Washington, DC, where it runs fifteen Encore Chorales and six Encore Rocks choruses. Encore also has ensembles in Chicago, Denver, Pennsylvania, Ohio and California. Learn more at encorecreativity.org. (2018-1-11)
- Robert De Cormier, longtime director of The New York Choral Society and arranger for Harry Belafonte and Peter, Paul and Mary, has died. He was 95. Read about his life at The New York Times. (2017-11-13)
- Harold Rosenbaum's new book, A Practical Guide to Choral Conducting, is now available for ordering from the publisher. (2017-10-19)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- April 9, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Sing Choruses in Public, a midtown-based chorus specializing in the works of Gilbert & Sullivan.
- March 29, 2018: New link for The Vocal Company, offering services to make your a cappella better.
- March 17, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Trinity Baptist Church Choir on the Upper East Side.
- February 7, 2018: Made a small change to the code on the Concert Calendar so that anchored links from other pages (for example, the calendar listings on the home page) now take you to the correct spot in the calendar. Apologies for past misdirections.
- January 25, 2018: New link for Run by Singers, a UK-based outfit arranging singing holiday weeks and weekends since 2003.
- January 19, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the East End Singers, a self-directed group of eight based in Port Jefferson, NY.
- January 15, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Encore Chorale. New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Encore Rocks. Both groups, based in Manhattan, are offerings of Encore Creativity for Older Adults and are intended for singers 55 and older.
- November 29, 2017: New link for OPUS Tours, performance tour specialists to more than 40 countries.
- October 30, 2017: New Choir Directory listing for The Mark Howell Singers, a Gospel-focused group based in Manhattan.
- October 25, 2017: Major updates for choirs affiliated with New Jersey's Continuo Arts. The Continuo Arts Civic Chorale has become the Civic Chorale of New Jersey. The Continuo Arts Children's Chorus is now the Children's Choir of New Jersey. The Continous and The Continuo Arts Singers have combined to become the Youth Choir of New Jersey. And Seniors Sing! has joined the lineup. See the Choir Directory and Choir Auditions for updated information.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Cerddorion, Chelsea Song, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Choral Chameleon, Chorus 802,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Nikolai Kachanov Singers, North River Sing, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.