Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Interkultur's American International Choral Festival runs February 14-18, 2019 in Princeton, NJ. For details, visit www.interkultur.com/events/2019/princeton/. (2018-12-30)
- Florilegium Chamber Choir has appointed James Knox Sutterfield as its music director, the fourth in its forty-three year history. (2018-12-20)
- The New York City Bar Chorus celebrated 25 years of serving the community with a concert on November 9 in the City Bar's Great Hall. The nearly-100-member chorus, directed by Kathryn E. Schneider and accompanied by Matthew V. Grieco, showcased their extraordinary musical talents to a packed house of more than 400 enraptured audience members. Read more about the celebratory concert at www.nycbar.org/media-listing/media/detail/new-york-city-bar-chorus-celebrates-25-years. (2018-11-22)
- The Ember ensemble of Schola Cantorum on Hudson has named composer and performing artist Cheryl Engelhardt as its Composer-in-Residence for the 2018-19 concert season. This is the first time the noted semi-professional ensemble, led by Artistic Director, founder and conductor Deborah Simpkin King, has named a composer to the position for an entire season. (2018-10-3)
- The New York Choral Consortium's Fall Programs Day on Saturday, October 13 features sessions with Kent Tritle, Ronnie Oliver, Jr., Mark Schnaible, Alexis Martin and Jacob Levine. For details, visit www.newyorkchoralconsortium.org/events. (2018-10-2)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- January 15, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Flushing Schiller Institute Community Chorus.
- November 12, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for CantaNYC, a new choir directed by Claude Lévy.
- October 31, 2018: New link for Music Books Plus, offering music and audio books, videos, CD-ROMs, DVDs, software and sheet music.
- October 26, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The Choir, a new community choir based in lower Manhattan that focuses on pop hits along with contemporary and classic Broadway tunes.
- October 19, 2018: We've done some long-overdue housekeeping on the VAN Store page. Aside from freshening the look to be consistent with other pages on the site, we've restarted our Amazon Associates program. Once again, you can support VAN when you make purchases from Amazon by starting your shopping at the VAN Store. We've even got some new music and book recommendations.
- October 16, 2018: Several new links in the Links Collection for ticketing and donor management services and a new link for chorus management (though that company is based in Vancouver). Thanks to Jacob Levine of Chorus Connection, who offered these resources during his presentation at the Programs Day run by the New York Choral Consortium this past Saturday.
- September 14, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for St. Paul's Chapel Choir, a new choir forming at Trinity Wall Street.
- September 6, 2018: New link for ChoralNation, connecting the world's choral community with organization and event listings.
- September 5, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Trinity Choir--Staten Island.
- August 12, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Kent Singers, a choir of 30+ singers based in Kent, CT.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Cerddorion, Chelsea Song, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Choral Chameleon, Chorus 802,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Nikolai Kachanov Singers, North River Sing, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.